Monday 21 November 2016

The Upper Room daily devotional: Title - Doing Good

Read Romans 7:7-13
All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.
- Romans 3:23 (NIV)
When my daughter was two or three years old, she threw the normal tantrums of a child. When she got into trouble, she would start crying and loudly repeating, “I want to be good.” I was intrigued by her response.

Paul wrote to the Romans about the same problem. in his letter to them he said, “I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do.” Paul wanted to do good. He knew what was expected of him and worked to be an example to other people. But it was not easy. He was human and imperfect.

We are also meant to be examples. We know what is expected of us; but because of sin, doing good is not easy. God knows we are weak and gives us grace so that we are forgiven when we fall short. When we read the Bible for guidance and pray for forgiveness, God will bless us.


Thought for the Day:

With God’s help, I can “be good.”

Prayer: Dear Lord, we want to do good, but sometimes temptation overcomes us. Please guide us and give us strength to follow you. Amen.

Prayer Focus: GRATITUDE FOR THE GIFT OF GRACE

The scripture quotation, unless otherwise indicated, is from the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION of the Bible, copyright © 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment