Saturday 19 November 2016

The Upper Room daily devotional: Title - Two Semis and a Dump Truck

Read Luke 12:22-31
Seek [the Father’s] kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well.
- Luke 12:31 (NIV)
It was a beautiful autumn day. My wife and I were traveling through the hills of North Carolina on our motorcycle. I was anxious about our trip. We needed to reach our destination by the end of the day, and we had decided to take the scenic route to stay off the faster, truck-filled interstate.

As we rounded a turn, we saw two semis on the road ahead of us. As we approached the trucks, I had to pay much more attention to traffic. I began to think I wouldn’t get a chance to enjoy the scenery on this trip. I was relieved to find that the trucks moved along swiftly, because the chance of passing one, let alone both, on the winding hills of the Appalachians seemed slim.

Suddenly, their progress slowed. A heavily-loaded dump truck had pulled in ahead of them. My wife and I began to accept that it would be a slow trip. But around the next corner, a long stretch of road without oncoming traffic gave us ample time to pass all three slow-moving vehicles.

I began to think about how often I become anxious when I want God to grant my prayers to suit my own agenda. The clear, straight road ahead reminded me that when we trust God, we can let go of the anxiety and enjoy the journey.



Thought for the Day:

I can rely on the Lord’s direction.

Prayer: Dear Father, thank you for listening to our prayers. Help us to listen for your answer and direction. Amen.

Prayer Focus: MOTORCYCLISTS

The scripture quotation, unless otherwise indicated, is from the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION of the Bible, copyright © 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment