Thursday 13 October 2016

The Upper Room daily devotional: ACTIVE LISTENING

Read Psalm 119:97-105
Jesus said, “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand.”

- John 10:27-28 (NIV)

I serve as an instructor pilot in the United States Navy Reserve and teach students to fly complex jet aircraft that travel at high speeds. One of the areas in which student pilots encounter difficulty is in learning to listen effectively and understand critical radio communications.

Air traffic controllers speak quickly and often use abbreviated terminology, which sometimes makes their communications difficult to grasp.

When my students become confused by a radio call they do not comprehend, I draw on past experience and training to help them translate the controller’s instructions. We need those instructions as pilots in order to continue flying safely and to complete our mission.

The challenges faced by my students are not unlike those that we face as Christians trying to carry out God’s will. We might be eager and determined to follow God’s plan in our lives, but too often we neglect to work on our listening skills. Fortunately, like my students, we have the ability to become better listeners. Training our ears through regular study of the Bible and faithful participation in worship makes it easier to understand the communications God is sending us.


Thought for the Day:

How will I listen to God and others today?

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us prayerfully and continually to seek your guidance. Help us also to follow that guidance so that we may better serve you. Amen.

Prayer Focus: AIR TRAFFIC CONTROLLERS

The scripture quotation, unless otherwise indicated, is from the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION of the Bible, copyright © 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment