Saturday 1 October 2016

Daily Devotional: The Upper Room daily devotional: STEALING JESUS

Read Psalm 119:1-8
Happy are those who keep his decrees, who seek him with their whole heart.
- Psalm 119:2 (NRSV)
I could tell something was wrong with my friend before she made it to my bunk. She had a bewildered look on her face as she approached me. “You will never guess what someone did to me,” she said. I encouraged her to tell me what had happened.

A Christian inspirational book had been stolen from her bunk. My friend was upset because she had been inspired by the readings and had taken to reading the book as a daily devotional. As someone who tries to see the glass half full in life, I lightheartedly asked her, “You mean someone stole Jesus off your bed?” My question made her chuckle. She said, “I guess you could say that.”

I am not one to advocate stealing, especially in prison. But I hope that if someone steals Jesus-inspired reading, maybe lives will be changed through the power Jesus has to do amazing work. Even though my friend still hated what had happened, she had a better perspective on the situation. We both trusted that another person’s life would be changed.


Thought for the Day:

Jesus makes transformation happen in unexpected ways.

Prayer: Dear Lord, help us to help others when they are in need. Amen.

Prayer Focus: THOSE WHO ARE IN PRISON

The scripture quotation, unless otherwise indicated, is from the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION of the Bible, copyright © 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment