Thursday 6 October 2016

Daily Devotion: The Upper Room daily devotional: BURYING YOUR TALENTS?

Read Matthew 25:14-30
I was afraid, and I went and hid your talent in the ground. Here you have what is yours.
- Matthew 25:25 (NRSV)

Our interim pastor recently preached a sermon on the Parable of the Talents that helped me realize its fuller meaning. Because I had always looked at this parable only in terms of money, I could not understand why the master was so angry at the servant who hid his talent.

After all, this servant did not lose the money. But this sermon reminded me that “talents” can be our God-given gifts, not just money.

My new understanding of the parable made me think of Jesus’ disciple, Andrew. He was an average, everyday fisherman. But he used what he had to bring new people to Jesus. He brought his brother, Simon [Peter], to meet Jesus (see John 1:41) and found the young man with the five loaves and two fish the day Jesus fed five thousand people. (See John 6:7-9.)

Thinking about the parable in this new way, I began to see that we can use our God-given gifts for furthering God’s kingdom, no matter how small they may seem. God can magnify any small talent into something wonderful.


Thought for the Day:

Where can I use my talents for God?

Prayer: Dear God, thank you for the gifts and talents you have given us. May we put them to good use to your glory. Amen.

Prayer Focus: OUTREACH MINISTRIES

The scripture quotation, unless otherwise indicated, is from the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION of the Bible, copyright © 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment