Tuesday 11 October 2016

Daily Devotion: The Upper Room daily devotional: TRUSTING GOD

Read Isaiah 40:26-31
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
- Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)

When my wife, Rae, began chemotherapy treatments for the second time in four years, I tried to become content with our situation and rely on God for strength. My daily supplication to God became, “Please heal her quickly, Lord.” I expected immediate results.

I am grateful that the Lord has blessed my wife and me with many years together, and we hope to be with the Lord someday. But I am still anxious and still rely upon my own understanding as I hope for my wife’s quick return to health. Today’s quoted scripture tells me to look instead to God for understanding. I am trying to trust God with my wife’s healing and find joy in the promises and encouragement of scripture. God promises that we can be content even when facing mortality if we rely on Christ for strength.


Thought for the Day:

I can find strength by trusting God.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, give us the courage to face the unknown through our faith in you as we pray, “Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen” (Matt. 6:9-13, KJV).

Prayer Focus: OLDER ADULTS FACING CANCER

The scripture quotation, unless otherwise indicated, is from the NEW REVISED STANDARD VERSION of the Bible, copyright © 1989, by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of Churches of Christ in the U.S.A. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment