Saturday 23 July 2016

JESUS IS LORD: The Upper Room daily devotional: A SOLACE FOR THE SOUL

Over 50 years ago in Sunday school I memorized my first Bible verse, Psalm 56:3. The teacher told our small group of children that when we were afraid, it was important to trust God because God cares about us.

It was not until many years later that I began to learn the true meaning of this powerful psalm. As new parents, my husband and I observed that our first child’s hands and legs seemed to move abnormally on occasion.

We made an appointment with our pediatrician. I was afraid to know the diagnosis and afraid not to know it. I was afraid of our present lack of experience as parents and afraid that what might lie ahead would need the expert experience of seasoned parents.

Fear began to overwhelm me. But then I remembered that first Bible verse I had learned so many years ago: “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”

We may be afraid of many things: health issues, financial concerns, giving birth, or approaching death. Whatever it may be, we can pray this psalm and allow it to flow through our souls, bringing peace. God can be trusted in all situations and with all our concerns.

Read more from the author, here.

Le-Ann Splawn Little (Alabama, USA)

Thought for the Day:

In uncertain times, I can rely on scripture to comfort me.

Prayer: Heavenly Father, thank you for peace that overflows our souls when we trust in you. Amen.

Prayer Focus: PARENTS AWAITING A CHILD’S DIAGNOSIS

No comments:

Post a Comment