Wednesday 10 May 2017

The Upper Room daily devotional: Title - God, the Mother

Today's Devotional

“My translation says something different here,” my co-leader said. We were leading a discussion on Psalm 91 and its comparison of God to a fortress that can protect and shield us. But we began by talking about the bird imagery in verse 4.

Our German language Bibles had contained very different imagery. One translation, a paraphrase edition, compared God to a mother hen; the other, Luther’s translation, spoke of God as a bird with strong, sheltering wings.

My co-leader liked the image of God as an eagle with strong wings to shelter us. I agreed at the time; but the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I actually disagreed.

As I get older, I appreciate more and more everything my mother has done for me: the sleep lost; the hours spent doing crafts with me; driving me everywhere and helping me with homework; the laundry washed; the wisdom offered; the prayers prayed. How much she must have given up so that she could always be there for me!

I love the image of God as a mother, there for her children all the time, caring for them and sacrificing for them. God is our protector; but God is also our comforter and sustainer.

Thought for the Day:

God is both mother and father for us.

Prayer: God, our protector and sustainer, thank you for caring for us, your children. Thank you for images that give us a deeper understanding of you. Amen.

Prayer Focus: Bible study leaders

No comments:

Post a Comment